Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Liberty Falls in the Rain


The spiky spruce needles

are reflected in my hot tea,

while protecting me from

the drip of twelve hours

of Alaska soft rain.


The tea reflection

shimmers to my heart beat,

unheard against the

downhill rant

of Liberty River,

inches from my toes.


Shades of green

dress my camping spot.

River rocks color the water green.

Moss lines the shore

while horsetails stand guard,

and alder leaves glitter,

silvery in the gray light.


Shadowy ancient spruce

line the sky,

only interrupted

by the rare towering cottonwood.

The narrow cut of the steep valley

is dressed in green top to bottom.


Silver slashes compliment the green.

Shaggy wet tree trunks

and high rock walls hung vertical,

contrast with the horizontal river shore.

With a unrelenting gray sky above.


I so love it here.

This is where my soul finds

sustenance in the river quiet,

in the river noise.

My eyes feast on the green

and my heart calms finding center.


Lizette Estelle Stiehr

August 10, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment