Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oh Mr. Zebra


You beg the question

Mr. Zebra,

Just like the

Push-me-pull-you.

Are you pushing me

Or am I pulling you?


And you, Mr. Zebra

Beg the question:

Are your stripes

white on black

or black on white?


Are you galloping

the white light

barred by old patterns

hostage to the past

with black stripes

breaking up your light?


Or are you

working the darkness,

bringing in stripes of light

to band the darkness

into bite sized pieces?


How like Africa.

The high contrast of

poverty and victimhood

banded with wide riotess beauty

filled with orange flowers and trees

hosting the broadest range of

wildly divergent forms.


No answers.

Is the world pulling Africa

Or is Africa pushing the world?

All I know is the love I feel there.


Lizette Estelle Stiehr

September 16, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment