Friday, July 16, 2010

THE PATH


I arrive at Coeur D’Alene in August

preparing to walk the familiar pine-needled path

through ancient trees, toward the hills.


But the path is totally different.

Spruce beetle kill has downed the huge trees

blocking the path, routing one far uphill.


And light floods into

what was once deep forest.

So odd… filled with light, yet not passable.


How like my inner life.

The old path of service to others

regardless of the cost to me,

has become impassable.


Now the path is rerouted anew,

unknown and unclear.


I walk a new path that releases me

from the old patterns of a “good” woman

who gives more than she has,

who stays until death

who never gets angry.


I walk the new path.

I serve the light as defined from within.

I serve the light of peace and contentment,

of joy and harmony and growth.


I’ve graduated to a new path

that only opens right in front of me.


I’ve graduated into a new path

of loving me enough

to fill my own well

from within.


Lizette Stiehr

August 29, 2009

At the campground above Hope, Alaska

No comments:

Post a Comment